i’m sure a few people have been wondering, so i figured i’d just tell everyone instead of having to repeat myself 12,000x’s.
i know the last time i moved, i said it would be in the same place for two years but a lot has happened in the last 6 months.
1. i happened to get sick and had to take a significant time off work – including being hospitalized. we all know i hadn’t been at my job very long so…no sick or vacation time and my short term disability didn’t apply (future blog post).
2. there was a major transition of the leadership in our office, which is typical for politics, especially in dc. most places it only happens to the big wigs (which i don’t consider myself) but because my boss who headed the administration was let go and i was her chief of staff i went with her.
3. small severance, no vaca or sick due to #1 and so i had to get creative.
4. i sold everything (or at least tried to -the rest will be going next week) i didn’t need to survive. if you know me this was a GIANT ouch – especially when the pink chair went.
5. cashed out my savings and borrowed against my life insurance (sorry jasmine).
6. then of course i hated the fact i needed unemployment but it’s only temporary and my tax dollars went into it so…each week i get $300. if you know anything about dc – you can’t live on that. you can’t even pay rent. you can’t pay cobra insurance so any meds your on even generics are freakin expensive ($700+) – NO lie!.
7. i haven’t bought a shoe, a purse, a cupcake, or a piece of clothing mine the packer sweatshirt when i went home to WI for an interview only bc it was 80% off. give a girl a break.
8. very, very, very eating out if at all. i’ve been grocery shopping, which i hate.
9. i’ve applied, interviewed, applied, interviewed, applied, interviewed at least 40 times – no lie and haven’t found anything (wait for that blog post).
10. then their is the realization that i had to move bc $300/wk = $1200/mo and my rent is over that, not including utilities. i have not lived in my parents’ home since i was 18. i know it’s different bc it’s not the pulaski house but i have my clothes, a few shoes (yes more than 3), make-up, hair stuff and my handy computer. oh and of course max.
11. packing was PAINFUL. i hadn’t even been there a year. i was frustrated, irritated, and heartbroken.
but i did get all the shoes i did not take with me into 2 bins – a very significant miracle!
13. saturday i officially moved into my mom and jim’s basement in west virginia – freaking WEST VIRGINIA!
here are my new digs:
14. i am grateful that i have a place to stay, that will let my max bring his litter box with him. i only wish gas prices hadn’t spiked $.20 since saturday bc that surely puts a damper on my driving to dc.
15. the most important though is that i’ve been incredibly humbled to say the least. i know how blessed i was and still am for all i have. learning to embrace the trials of life is not always a piece of cake (or cupcake) but coming out (peeking right now) is worth it.
…stay tuned for the “job hunting” blog post and the “15 trips and 25 medications later to figure out what was wrong with me” blog post.
highly entertaining (now).
but be aware they will be spread a bit apart because i must admit, it’s been a challenge for me.